HISTORY OF IMMANUEL UNITED CHURCH OF CHRIST
Immanuel United Church of Christ of 1950 is a reunion of the old Salem and St. John's congregations, part of a nationwide merger which took many years of discussion, negotiation, and prayer to complete.
"There is more to be done. The church cannot be static. It must move on toward new achievements. God with us, we will continue to build temples yet undone."
Immanuel United Church of Christ is a modern conglomerate of ages, professions, beliefs, and traditions which dates back to the Lafayette, Indiana, community of 1859. This Wabash River town, and the young nation around it, were on the brink of Civil War when the Rev. Ulrich Zuercher, a German Congregational missionary, came to town, probably early in 1859. By March, 1860, he had organized a church with 17 charter members under the sponsorship of the Congregationalists.
Lafayette, founded in 1825, had already seen the establishment of Methodist, Presbyterian, Baptist, Lutheran, Episcopal, and Catholic churches. A small handful of African-American residents from the American south had founded an African Methodist Church in 1849. A Jewish synagogue, first called Ahavas Achim (“loving brothers”) was established in the early 1850s and was a forerunner of modern-day Temple Israel in West Lafayette. The first rabbis were all German immigrants with names like Weil, Lowenthal, Schaffner, Schoenfeld, Emmich, Freudenthal, and Zeisler.
The opening of the Wabash and Erie Canal in Lafayette in about 1841, the ability to use the telegraph in 1849, and then the advent of the railroads in 1852 had caused swift growth in Lafayette’s population. By one report, the census increased 672% between 1850 and 1860!
While places like Lafayette were becoming more attractive for migration for those reasons, Germany was experiencing tribulation. A depressed economy led to revolution, which succeeded temporarily, then failed, only to be followed by a repressive government between 1848 and 1851. Thousands of Germans left their homeland; many came to the United States, mixing their own customs, beliefs, and ways with their dreams for a new and better life.
This helps explain why a substantial part of Lafayette’s 1850s population explosion was comprised of people of German ancestry. Some came directly to Lafayette from the “old country,” particularly Bavaria. Others, whose families had resided in Pennsylvania and Ohio, and had been called “Pennsylvania Dutch,” arrived in Lafayette from overland trails and roads. The Germans began to run small stores or to buy land and develop farms. They were to work in, or soon started, restaurants and hotels. They brewed beer and opened saloons. The Dryfus Packing Co., Loeb’s Department Store, the Baltimore Clothing Store (founded by German Jews Levi and Julius Oppenheimer), the Mulhaupt Lock and Key Co., the E. and M. Schneible Co., the Ruger Baking Co., the George Bohrer Brewing Co., the Thieme and Wagner Brewery, the Schwab Safe Co., and many more landmarks of Lafayette business and industry are traced to this German immigration after 1850.
By 1853, the original St. Mary Catholic Church, present in Lafayette since 1843, had so many new German-speaking members that a special Sunday mass was scheduled for them in their native tongue. Soon, they split and formed St. Boniface Parish (which now has a Spanish language mass for the many Hispanics residing in Lafayette).
From the ranks of the Methodists, who had their first church in 1828, a German Methodist Episcopal congregation emerged with its own identity and church building in 1855. In 1850, a German Lutheran Church was organized. The first three pastors of what is known today as St. James Lutheran Church were Germans named Leemhuis, Koenig, and Schoneberg.
So, Rev. Ulrich Zuercher’s work was very much in keeping with the times. At first, his little congregation worshiped at the Baptist Church, then standing on the southwest corner of Sixth and Ferry Streets. After a few months, he moved Sunday services into the Reformed Presbyterians’ building on Ferry, near Fourth Street.
In May, 1886, the congregation incorporated itself as a Congregational Church. At about the same time, it paid $1,800 for the Universalist Church building, built about 1852, on the northeast corner of Ninth and Main Streets. The down payment was $300 and the congregation paid the balance in installments.
In the beginning months, Rev. Zuercher had no salary. Members took turns keeping him in their homes and taking care of his needs as best they could. The first members of this Congregational Church were:
Mr. and Mrs. Henry Fletemeyer
Mr. and Mrs. Frederick Fletemeyer
Mr. and Mrs. Henry Doerrbecker
Mr. and Mrs. George Schueler
Mr. and Mrs. Frederick Gleichmann
Mr. and Mrs. Karl Becker
Rudolph Fletemeyer - the first received by Confirmation
"All of these,” to quote a church history prepared in 1860, “were good citizens. They gave of their money, little though it was; they gave of their time, and they gave of their prayers. So our beginnings were founded in faith and blessed by God.”
In March, 1862, the congregation opted to reorganize as the First German Evangelical Reformed Church. The membership had grown and the governing form was altered to fit in with “E and R” practices. The first Deacons were Henry Fletemeyer and Rudolph Schwegler, who also served as secretary, treasurer, and Sunday School Superintendent.
In January, 1864, a few of the members withdrew to organize their own Holland Reformed Church under Rev. Zuercher’s successor, Rev. E. F. Lueders. From then until March, 1865, Rev. J. J. Simon was the First German Evangelical and Reformed Church’s pastor.
On April 3, 1865, as the Civil War was ending, the congregation voted to join the Synod of the Reformed Church, and Rev. J. B. Zumpe became pastor. He was succeeded in 1869 by Rev. H. F. Mueller, when the congregation numbered 165. Rev. Mueller gave way to Rev. Peter Vitz in 1871, and by October, 1877, when Rev. Wilhelm Spies became pastor, there were 219 members.
By 1878, the church offered a strong Sunday School and a Mutual Aid Society. The ladies sponsored and managed a Missionary Society.
But then, in September, 1885, Rev. Spies and 75 members withdrew from the First German Evangelical and Reformed Church to form a new congregation and join a different denomination. It was incorporated under the name Deutsch Evangelische St. Johannesgemeinde in Lafayette, Indiana, which was to say, “St. John’s German Evangelical,” and joined the German Evangelical Synod of North America. The new congregation began meeting in the Universalists’ building on Ninth Street between Elizabeth and Cincinnati Streets.
In October, 1885, Rev. E. W. Henschen succeeded Rev. Spies as shepherd of the original First Reformed flock, which stayed in its building at Ninth and Main. For the next 65 years the separate congregations – with churches never more than a few city blocks apart – would generally be known as the original First Reformed, or later, the “Salem Church,” and the new “St. John’s Church.” Both congregations grew and prospered.
The original First Reformed congregation survived the departure of Rev. Spies and grew with Rev. Henschen. In the late 1880s, the ruling Elders were: Fred Whelp, John Overesch, and J. C. Heinmueller; the Deacons were: Henry Niehaus, Louis Muendke, and Henry Helmkamp; the Trustees were: George Schueler, Rudolph Fletemeyer, and Peter Meyers.
By that time, Sunday School attendance was up to about 150. There also were a Ladies Aid Society, headed by Mrs. John Weil, and a Young Folks’ Society, led by John Schneider (president) and Mary Fletemeyer (secretary).
In 1886, the Ladies Aid Society began a building fund. By 1889, two lots were acquired at Tenth and Ferry Streets. Work began on a parsonage and church in May, 1891 and the dedication took place on November 22, 1891. The project cost $25,000, but on Dedication Day the remaining debt was a mere $463. The Men’s Benefit Society advanced that amount, without interest. Later, the Ladies Aid reimbursed the Men’s Society by giving $400 and the men donated the $63 balance. The church was debt-free.
By January, 1898, when Rev. Henschen departed and Rev. Theodore Herman arrived, there were 321 members in the First Reformed congregation. In April, 1900, the congregation installed a pipe organ costing $2,700.
Rev. Herman left in December, 1902 and Rev. Conrad Hassel succeeded him in February, 1903, staying until September, 1911. In June, 1904, the church membership voted to incorporate with the new name of Salem Reformed Church of Lafayette, Indiana. The roster of succeeding ministers for Salem Church thereafter included Rev. H. G. Hilgemann in February, 1912, Rev. M. N. George in April, 1917, and Rev. N. C. Dittes in August, 1923.
On September 4, 1910, the congregation celebrated its Golden Jubilee. In January, 1913, the first annual financial report books were published, giving detailed reports of all the organizations within the congregation and the gifts from each member of the congregation for both current expenses and benevolences.
On January 1, 1925, at the annual congregational meeting, the people adopted a new Constitution and By-Laws. Later in 1925 they also approved a new Church School Constitution.
By August, 1926, Salem Church was the scene of a big and troubled remodeling project. The aim was to make it more adequate for social and educational functions. Walter Scholer was the architect and A. E. “Cap” Kemmer was the contractor. One member of Salem, Ray Phillips, happened to be a Kemmer Construction Co. superintendent and helped with the project. The 1926 Trustees, H. W. Eberhardt, Charles Calsbeck, and Harry Snideman, doubled as the church’s Building Committee. A Finance Committee was composed of Walter Unger (chair), Charles Calsbeck, Otto Ebershoff. O. R. Heinmiller, Paul Heinmiller, Anna Kolthoff, Louise Huessing, Theodore Kohler, John Overesch, Fred Ebershoff, William Reinbott, and Jacob W. Lind (treasurer).
The project had been launched with a fund that started in 1916. First contributions came from the Christian Endeavor Society, Sunday School, Sunday School Home Department, Junior Christian Endeavor Society, and the Ladies Aid Society. By the time work began in 1926, the fund contained $6,788. Many construction problems pushed the final cost to $37,518. Dedication of the enlarged facilities took place on March 27, 1927. During construction, $4,978 in contributions helped, but a debt of $25,752 remained. The congregation borrowed $15,000 from a bank and $5,000 from the Men’s Society. The Great Depression years created more financial problems during the 1930s. It took the church until 1947 to pay the debt.
Rev. J. F. Hawk came as Salem’s pastor in March, 1928. A second term for Rev. Conrad Hassel began in March, 1934, then Rev. George F. Gaerttner took over as pastor in July, 1939. Rev. Louis H. Gunnemann served the congregation from June, 1941 until January, 1950.
St. John’s Church enjoyed a parallel history of growth and progress after the split from First Reformed in 1885. In February, 1886, Rev. Spies gave way to Rev. E. D. Kiefel. Shortly after that, the members paid $1,000 for a lot on Elizabeth Street near Eleventh Street. A 40 x 80 foot wood frame church, costing $2,500 and known as St. John’s was dedicated on that site on September 26, 1886. Church members retired that debt in three years.
Rev. Kiefel stayed 13 years and, in August, 1899, gave way to Rev. William Breitenbach. The latter was the congregation’s minister when, on the morning of January 8, 1905, fire destroyed the building and its valuable pipe organ – but not the spirit of the people. From those ashes 54 weeks later, on January 21, 1906, there arose an architectural gem. The beautiful, steepled, brick house of worship was dedicated and renamed St. John’s Church, close by the northwest corner of Eleventh and Elizabeth Streets.
Because the parsonage had been moved to the site of the burned down building, the new church was built at the corner. It included three new stained glass windows, plus old ones repaired at a cost of $550. Many members contributed these windows or repairs as memorials.
"The stained glass windows were lovely,” one account stated. “When the sun shone through of a morning, the hand of God touched everything; the lovely purple, colorful rose, delightful green, beautiful yellow diffused a scene of enchantment and loveliness all over the church.” The Ladies Aid Society replaced the lost pipe organ at a cost of $1,600.
In November, 1907, Rev. F. W. Beuhler was hired as pastor of St. John’s. There followed a rapid succession of ministers: Rev. A. Beutenmueller came in June, 1910, Rev. Hans Zumstein in December, 1914, Rev. C. F. Howe in November, 1924, Rev. G. W. Mauch in October, 1935, Rev. Henry Baumgaertel in July, 1939, and Rev. John A. Keller from September, 1943 until 1950.
In 1910, various repairs and improvements were made on both the St. John’s Church and parsonage and members voted to approve updated constitutions for the church, Ladies Aid Society, and Men’s Benefit Society. Toward the end of 1924, the church was repaired and redecorated and a bell, possessing a rich tone, was bought and dedicated in a special service. The outlay totaled $4,200 for the improvements.
The present Immanuel United Church of Christ is a reunion of the old Salem and St. John’s congregations, encouraged by a nationwide merger which took many years of discussion, negotiation, and prayer to complete.
Merger discussions are said to have begun in the 1920s between officers of the General Synod of the Reformed Church in the United States, with which Salem Church was affiliated, and the Evangelical Synod of North America, of which St. John’s Church was a part. By June 26, 1934, the Evangelical and Reformed Church had formed as a single new denomination at the national level. But, in many places, such as Lafayette, separate churches remained. Lafayette’s Salem and St. John’s Churches had common roots, to be sure, but also had separate histories which spanned half a century. Bringing the two together took time. On June 9, 1935, the Salem congregation proudly marked its 75th anniversary. And, on June 7, 1936, St. John’s Church members celebrated, with equal pride, their 50th anniversary.
By 1943, the Women’s Guild had brought into one group all the women of the two congregations, taking over the programs of the Ladies Aid Societies, several missionary societies for the women and girls, and the sewing circles.
The Christian Endeavor organizations became the Youth Fellowship. The Men’s Society, with its benevolent purposes, remained and a new organization with a broader program for the men of the two congregations was begun.
Yet, despite talk (and national merger), real progress toward fully reuniting Salem and St. John’s Churches did not materialize until October 2, 1949. The consistories of the two churches then agreed that uniting was the best way to promote the work of the national Evangelical and Reformed denomination in Lafayette. The question of how to unite, and when to do it, remained unanswered.
Both congregations, urged on by Rev. Gunnemann and Rev. Keller and their respective lay leaders, soon authorized the consistories to negotiate in earnest. With surprising speed and unanimity, a Basis of Union Agreement was drafted and accepted. On December 4, 1949, the two congregations, without a negative vote, formed Immanuel Evangelical and Reformed Church.
The name “Immanuel,” which means “God with us,” was chosen to best express the convictions of the new congregation as it moved on to new experiences, activities and challenges. Members marked the advent of Immanuel Church with a service on Sunday, January 15, 1950. The president of South Indiana Synod preached the sermon and an installation service was held for Rev. Gunnemann, the pastor chosen to lead the new church. He remained in this position through September, 1952, when Rev. Linus Wierwill succeeded him.
On February 20, 1950, the Immanuel congregation ratified a constitution. In the beginning years, two worship services were held each Sunday. St. John’s Church hosted an 8:15 a.m. service (later changed to 8:30 a.m.), and Salem Church convened Sunday School classes at 9:15 a.m. and a worship service at 10:30 a.m. Meanwhile, the search began to find a suitable site for construction of a new church.
The success of fund-raising campaigns held in the next few years showed that the membership would support the building project generously. Memorial gifts were received and set aside to be used for specific furnishings or specific parts of the building.
Because Lafayette was growing so rapidly to the south and east in the 1950s, the membership felt that Immanuel’s permanent location should be in that part of the city. On May 28, 1956, the church paid $11,700 to the Tippecanoe County Commissioners for land in a public sale on the courthouse steps. The county-owned acreage had been part of undeveloped county fairgrounds property.
Ground breaking was held on September 30, 1956. But, there also were national developments going on which would have a bearing on progress.
Beginning in the late 1940s, discussions had been held toward merging the Evangelical and Reformed Church and the Congregational Church nationwide. Such a merger became official on June 25, 1957 at a meeting in Cleveland, Ohio. Thus, a new denomination took form: the United Church of Christ.
During the rest of that year, work on the new Lafayette church moved steadily forward. As the building began to take shape, each Sunday afternoon (weather permitting) members visited the site and rejoiced at the progress made and the visible signs of the fine facilities the building would offer. By the time it was finished, the building represented an investment of $360,000.
The cornerstone service was held on Sunday afternoon, September 8, 1957. It was the first gathering of members in what would be the sanctuary of the new church. Early in 1958, it became evident that the building could be completed and ready for occupancy before Easter. On March 16, 1958, a Key and Consecration Service took place and on May 11, 1958 a Dedication Service completed the evolution of Immanuel United Church of Christ.
The church is built in the form of a horizontal cross with the educational wing built at the foot of the cross. This symbolizes the spiritual value of teaching Christian education at the foot of the cross. There is another huge stone cross built into the front of the sanctuary. The church spire continues to point to God.
"This structure symbolizes one God, who is triune, as seen by the creative construction of the three tiers and the three bells,” one document explains. “The cross on the pinnacle of the spire faithfully points the way to heaven. Man enters the front door at the foot of the spire as to enter into the presence of the triune God; and so, united by God and proceeding from Him, as symbolized, are the constructive creative units designed for spiritual worship and education built for the honor and glory of our gracious God and for the direction and guidance of His people through His Holy Word.”
In the spring of 1960, a full century after Rev. Zuercher’s pioneering, the membership of Immanuel United Church of Christ stood at 737. Average Sunday attendance was 374 and the annual budget was nearly $31,000. Centennial observances included the publication of an illustrated 12 page church history compiled and written by Vera Hopkins and Wilma Fletemeyer, both direct descendants of charter members.
Rev. Wierwill resigned early in 1962, to be succeeded in August, 1962 by Dr. Arthur Krueger, who stayed 10 years. Several peaks were achieved in that decade:
• In 1970 membership reached 924
• Average Sunday attendance crested at 535
• On Easter Sunday, 1970, a record 723 people worshiped
• On Memorial Day, 1971, a record 85 visitors attended Sunday Services
In the summer of 1971, a Sunday School wing with classrooms, meeting rooms, and offices was built and opened at the southwest side of the original building. A student pastor, Wayne Schupbach, assisted Dr. Krueger from June 15 to August 24, 1965 and an associate pastor, Larry Laskie, served from June, 1966 to May 31, 1967. On April 1, 1969, Rev. Harvey Harsh was retained as assistant pastor.
Rev. Krueger resigned on July 6, 1972. Rev. Harsh served as interim pastor with the help of student pastor John Butson. On October 1, 1972, Rev. James P. Bettin was installed as senior pastor.
Rev. Harsh became assistant pastor under Rev. Bettin until June 30, 1974. Rev. Robert Miller served as Minister of Christian Education and Youth Work from August 1 to December 17, 1973. Rev. Harsh’s duties were redefined as Minister of Visitation from September 1, 1974 to December 31, 1976.
Church records for 1975 show a budget of $95,320, membership of 871, and average Sunday worship attendance of 413.
Kathy Knuf was hired as Director of Christian Education and Youth from February 1, 1975 to June 30, 1979. Rev. Harsh was named Pastor Emeritus from January 1, 1977 until August 3, 1981.
Rev. Edward Duffy was hired as assistant pastor from July 6, 1980 until August 31, 1982.
Rev. Bettin resigned on September 19, 1982. A series of services was conducted by Rev. Henry Baumgaertel, pastor of the old St. John’s congregation from 1939-1943, but now retired and a member of Immanuel. A number of guest ministers also held Sunday services. By April 15, 1983, Rev. John Fremont was retained as interim pastor and Rev. Baumgaertel was designated as his helper, or hilfspastor.
On September 9, 1984, Dr. Arthur P. Ellersieck was installed as senior pastor and Rev. Baumgaertel was named Pastor of Visitation.
Immanuel Church, at the time of its 125th anniversary in the spring of 1985, supported a paid staff which included: Alice Black, financial and church secretary, Robert Hinkle, director of music, and Paul Turnipseed, custodian.
Major organizations within the church included the Consistory, Board of Christian Education, Dorcas Circle, Lamplighters, Vacation Bible School, Food Pantry, Mary/Martha Circle, Married Couples Class, Anti-Cant’s, Builders Class, Pilgrim Fellowship, Laity Fellowship, Christmas Jubilee, Fellowship Class, and Noah’s Ark Pre-School.
Membership in 1985 stood at more than 700. Sunday School enrollment was 190 and attendance averaged about 90 per Sunday. Sunday worship attendance averaged 267. The operating budget that year was $156,308.
In the spring of 1988, Rev. Kenneth Scherry agreed to leave his position in Huntingburg, Indiana, and accept the position of senior pastor at Immanuel. During parts of 1995-96 he was assisted by Rev. Steve Myren.
Early in Rev. Scherry’s pastorate the position of Minister of Music was taken by Marcy Miller. She directed the Chancel Choir and assisted with music for youth events. Chuck Williamson served as organist. Both Marcy Miller and Rev. Scherry tendered their resignations in May and June, 1997 respectively. Rev. Scherry would serve through September 15, 1997.
Rev. Roger Heimer, a Disciples of Christ pastor, served Immanuel as the interim pastor from October, 1997 through December, 1998. Dr. Lois M. Campbell joined the staff during the fall of 1997 as Choir Director.
In January, 1999, Rev. Dr. Stephen J. Redman left Lake Zurich, Illinois, and accepted Immanuel’s call to be the senior pastor. His wife, Rev. Karen Spencer Redman, joined the Immanuel staff in late 1999 as Minister of Christian Education. Pastor Karen left this position in 2002 to join the staff of a church in Warrenton, Missouri. Pastor Steve resigned (December 28, 2003) to also accept a pulpit call in Missouri.
The Rev. Dr. Ronald Wunsch became our new pastor on November 1, 2004. Pastor Ron had spent the previous 22 years serving as an Active Duty Army Chaplain. Before that he had been the pastor of several parish churches.
Rev. John Ulright Zuercher, 1860-1862
Rev. E. Frederick Luedders, 1862-1864
Rev. J. J. Simon, 1864-1865
Rev. J. B. Zumpe, 1865-1869
Rev. H. F. Mueller, 1869-1871
Rev. Peter Vitz, 1871-1885
Rev. E. W. Henschen, 1885-1898
Rev. Theodore F. Herman, 1898-1902
Rev. Conrad Hassel, 1903-1911
Rev. H. F. Hilgemann, 1912-1917
Rev. M. N. George, 1917-1923
Rev. N. C. Dittes, 1923-1928
Rev. J. F. Hawk, 1928-1933
Rev. Conrad Hassel, 1934-1938
Rev. George F. Gaerttner, 1939-1941
Rev. Louis H. Gunnemann, 1941-1950
St. John’s Church
Rev. Wilhelm Spies, 1885-1886
Rev. E. D. Kiefel, 1886-1899
Rev. William Breitenbach, 1899-1907
Rev. F. W. Buehler, 1907-1910
Rev. A. Beutenmueller, 1910-1914
Rev. Hans Zumstein, 1914-1924
Rev. C. F. Howe, 1924-1935
Rev. G. W. Mauch, 1935-1938
Rev. Henry Baumgaertel, 1939-1943
Rev. John A. Keller, 1943-1949
Immanuel United Church of Christ
Rev. Louis H. Gunnemann, 1950-1952
Rev. Linus L. Wierwill, 1952-1962
Dr. Arthur M. Krueger, 1962-1972
Rev. James P. Bettin, 1972-1982
Dr. Arthur P. Ellersieck, 1984-1986
Rev. Kenneth L. Scherry, 1988-1997
Rev. Dr. Stephen J. Redman, 1999-2003
Rev. Dr. Ronald W. Wunsch, 2004-2011
Immanuel United Church of Christ Interim Pastors
Rev. Harvey Harsh, 1972
Rev. John F. Merrill, 1983-1984
Rev. Robert Baker, 1986-1988
Rev. Roger Heimer, 1997-1998
Rev. Jacob Hoffman, 2004
Rev. Ron Ely, 2004
Rev. Mike Winstead, 2004
Immanuel United Church of Christ Assistant Pastors
Wayne Schupbach, 1965
Rev. Larry Laskie, 1966-1968
Rev. Harvey Harsh, 1969-1981
John Butson, 1972
Rev. Robert Miller, 1973
Kathy Knuf, 1975-1979
Rev. Edward Duffy, 1980-1982
Rev. Henry Baumgaertel, 1982-1995
Rev. Steve Myren, 1995-1996
Immanuel United Church of Christ Location and Facilities
In September, 2003, the main building turned 45 years old. Built of stone, it seats 450 persons and an adjoining chapel, separated from the sanctuary by clear glass, seats 50. The building is considered to be in good repair. A two-story educational wing was added to the original church in 1971 and provides classrooms, offices and a library. The church complex includes a basement-level Fellowship Hall with a stage, classrooms, Sunday School office, choir room and a kitchen. The first-floor space provides classrooms, offices, library and a formal parlor. More data about the church property values and operating costs are available upon request.
The church-owned grounds total 5.25 acres. A large parking lot has been expanded to provide adequate space. An adjacent, level, grassy field covers nearly three acres. It is regularly mowed and is a neighborhood “park” of sorts, providing space for kite-flying, Vacation Bible School programs, chipping golf balls, throwing frisbees, etc.
The church is located on South 18th Street, a major north-south artery in a predominately middle income residential area of Lafayette. Cary Home, a residence for troubled teens, is our neighbor to the south. The Lafayette School Corporation maintains facilities across 18th Street from the church and also has three schools very close by - Durgan Elementary (enrolling approximately 300 students in grades K-5th), Tecumseh Middle School (enrolling approximately 900 students grades 6-8), and Jefferson High School (with a student body of approximately 2,200 in grades 9-12). All these schools have received many outstanding awards for academic achievements. The Tippecanoe County Fairgrounds is also a close neighbor, being around the corner on Teal Road.
Lafayette has several shopping centers close to Immanuel with the Tippecanoe Mall being the largest with more than 100 stores.
Immanuel United Church of Christ is a well established congregation in the Lafayette community, providing support to many local missions as well as those recommended by the Indiana/Kentucky Conference. The congregation is strong in its faith and reaches out to all.
Note an update is in progress to bring this history up-to-date for 2005 - 2015.